I’ve got a special recipe to share with you today. I whipped up this 3 quart crockpot beef stew with potatoes the other day, and let me tell you, it was absolutely mouthwatering. I promise you’ll fall in love with this dish just as much as I did.
As someone who is not a fan of meat and follows a mostly plant based lifestyle, making this dish for my husband who was craving beef stew was a stretch for me, but I am proud of myself for how it turned out.
This recipe is made to serve two people, and the best part? It yields a whopping 3 quarts of delicious, hearty goodness. Plus, it fits snugly in both 3-quart and 2-quart crockpots.
So, whether you’re snuggled up on a chilly evening or aiming to impress a special someone, this brown beef stew is sure to hit the spot.
Trust me, you’re in for a treat!
Also Check out: Jollof Stew Recipe
Ingredients For 3 Quart Crockpot Beef Stew
To make this 3 quart crockpot beef stew, you’ll need the following ingredients:
Beef Selection: Start with 1 pound of well-marbled stewing beef chuck, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces. This forms the heart of our dish, lending it richness and depth.
Fresh Vegetables: To make this crockpot beef stew for two people, you will need an assortment of colorful vegetables to add flavor and nutrition. I used onions, baby carrots, baby red potatoes, and frozen red and green pepper blends.
Flavorful Herbs and Seasonings: To elevate the taste profile, I used a blend of aromatic herbs and seasonings like thyme, curry, cumin, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and oregano, as well as some stock cubes. You will also need a pinch of salt and pepper to season your stew to perfection.
Sauces and Stock: The liquid component of our stew is equally essential. Opt for a high-quality beef stock or vegetable stock to infuse the dish with more flavor. I prefer to use vegetable stock. You will also need tomato sauce for a tangy and savory base.
Optional Add-Ins for Personalization: Feel free to get creative! Some red wine or beer can add a delightful depth of flavor. You might also consider experimenting with different vegetables like peas and carrots or adding some shrimp (which I did) for extra protein.
Before we dive into the cooking process, make sure you have the following on hand:
- 3-Quart Crockpot: The star of the show! I love using this 3 quart slow cooker for two people and find it to be the best for this recipe. Make sure it’s clean and ready to go.
- Basic Kitchen Tools: You’ll need a good knife, a cutting board, and a sturdy skillet for searing the beef.
Step-by-Step Instructions: How To Make Crockpot Beef Stew for Two
Step 1: Preparing the Beef
Start by trimming any excess fat from the stewing beef, then cut it into bite-sized pieces. This ensures tender, flavorful bites in every spoonful.
In a hot skillet, sear the beef with a sprinkle of salt until it’s nicely browned on all sides. This step locks in the juices and adds flavor to the stew.
Step 2: Dice the vegetables
Halve the baby red potatoes and carrots and dice a small red onion. If you prefer to use fresh red and green bell peppers instead of frozen, then you can chop them as well.
Step 3: Assembling the Stew
Transfer the seared beef to your 3-quart crockpot. Add in the chopped vegetables and tomato sauce and combine.
Then add the herbs and seasonings and mix until well combined.
Step 4: Pour in Your Stock
Pour in your beef or vegetable stock until it fills the crockpot halfway through. Avoid using too much stock.
Cover the crockpot and set it to cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. This slow cooking process allows all the flavors to come together beautifully.
Keep an eye on the stew, and if you find it needs a bit more liquid, you can add a splash of broth. If you find the stew is too thin, you can thicken it up with a slurry of cornstarch and water. Just mix it in towards the end of the cooking time.
Step 5: Serve Your Crockpot Beef Stew
Once it’s done cooking, consider pairing it with a crusty loaf of bread, rice or some mashed potatoes. A sprinkle of fresh parsley or freshly chopped basil adds a pop of color and freshness.
Flavorful Pairings and Customizations
- Wine or Beer: For an extra layer of flavor, consider adding a half cup of red wine or a bottle of your favorite stout beer.
- Tailoring the Herb and Seasoning Profile: Don’t be afraid to adjust the herbs and seasonings to suit your taste. Experiment and make it your own!
- Exploring Additional Vegetables and Starches: Feel free to get creative with your vegetable selection. Mushrooms, parsnips, or sweet potatoes can be delicious additions.
Expert Tips For Great Tasting Crockpot Beef Stew
Achieving the Perfect Consistency: Making this crockpot beef stew for two people requires meeting the right consistency. Therefore, don’t ignore the cornstarch slurry. One tablespoon of cornstarch to two tablespoons of water should be enough to thicken up the stew.
Balancing Flavors Throughout the Cooking Process: Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Sometimes a pinch of salt or a dash of pepper can make all the difference. Try not to go overboard with the seasoning. The stock already contains enough flavor juices.
Storing Leftovers for Future Enjoyment: This stew reheats beautifully, so don’t be afraid to make a little extra for lunch the next day. It should last in your fridge for up to 5 days.
The Best Crockpot Beef Stew for Two People
The satisfaction of a well-crafted stew is truly something special.
I hope you find as much joy in preparing and savoring this 3 quart crockpot beef stew for two as I do.
Remember, cooking is all about creativity and making a dish your own, so feel free to tweak and experiment to your heart’s content.
If you’re looking to elevate the dining experience, consider pairing this hearty stew with a robust red wine like a Cabernet Sauvignon or a Re Lusso. The rich flavors will complement the depth of the dish beautifully.
I’d love to hear about your experience with this crockpot beef stew for two! Share your thoughts, variations, and who you ended up sharing this special dish with in the comments.
Plus if you enjoyed this, and want something less meaty then you should also check out my one pot chickpea tomato soup.
As always, Happy cooking!
3 Quart Crockpot Beef Stew for Two
- 1 lb beef chuck - cut into 1-inch chunks
- 12 baby red potatoes - I used two handfuls (about 12) of baby red potatoes, and halved them.
- ½ cup baby carrot - about a handful of baby carrots, cut in half
- 1 small onion - diced
- ½ cup frozen red and green pepper blends - or you can use half of a fresh red and green bell pepper and dice it
- 4 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef stock - or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1-3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 stock cubes - I used maggi
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper - optional
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsps water
- In a hot skillet, sear the beef with a sprinkle of sea salt until it's nicely browned on all sides. Do not overcook the meat.1 lb beef chuck
- Transfer the seared beef to your 3-quart crock pot. Add in the chopped vegetables and tomato sauce, herbs, and seasonings and mix until well combined.12 baby red potatoes, ½ cup baby carrot, 1 small onion, ½ cup frozen red and green pepper blends, 4 tbsp tomato sauce, 1 tsp cumin, ½ tsp curry powder, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1-3 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper, 2 stock cubes, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp oregano
- Pour in your beef or vegetable stock until it fills the crock pot halfway through.2 cups beef stock
- Cover the crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- If you find the stew is too thin, you can thicken it up with a slurry of cornstarch and water. Just add it in towards the end of the cooking time.1 tbsp corn starch, 2 tbsps water
- Serve with a crusty loaf of bread or some mashed potatoes, and garnish with some fresh parsley.