Chicken Fried Rice is one meal I’ve been obsessed with lately. Each time I stop at the grocery store, I can’t help but pick up ingredients for it, even when I’m super broke and trying to stick to a budget.
It is one meal I love to prepare to get my evening started because it is super quick and easy to make.
The great thing about making Chicken Fried Rice is just how affordable the ingredients are. I spend roughly between $10-$12 getting all the ingredients together, so I usually end up saving a ton of money.
Lately, I’ve been pretty occupied with so much school work that I rarely have time to meal prep. So I find myself making this bad boy quite often since it isn’t time-consuming.
With that being said, if you are looking for a Chicken Fried Rice recipe that won’t take you forever to prepare, and would also save you a ton of money, well….. you came to the right place. I will be sharing my recipe with you, which is so affordable and less time-consuming.
Chicken Fried Rice
For this recipe, I like to keep things very simple, because less is SO MUCH MORE!! In that case, I don’t buy whole vegetables, as I find them to be so time-consuming to chop. So I stick to the regular frozen chopped mixed veggies found at most grocery stores to save myself the stress.
I also keep the number of spices I use on a low because Chicken fried rice is one of those meals you shouldn’t use too many spices in since the soy sauce already adds enough flavor. So sticking to regular salt and pepper works just fine.
Unlike most cooks who prepare their ingredients separately and eventually combine it together in the end, I personally find that process to be a bit tedious. Instead, I mix all my ingredients from scratch because I notice it makes the flavor stay very rich.
My secret to an amazing Chicken Fried Rice is really in the sauce. To get the best-tasting rice, I use the Kikkoman Stir-Fry sauce with a little bit of extra low sodium soy sauce to add more flavor to the rice. It makes it taste SO GOOD!
Let me know in the comments what your favorite rice recipe is!
Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
Making the rice
- Wash rice thoroughly to remove starch and set aside.
- To a medium sized pot, boil about 3 cups of water on medium heat.
- Add washed rice to boiling water with about a tablespoon of salt. Cook for 10 mins or until thoroughly done. (Feel free to use a rice cooker to make the rice)
- Once cooked, set rice aside in a refrigerator to cool down.
Making the chicken
- Chop chicken breast into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Beat 3 large eggs and set aside.
- Heat some canola oil in a large frying pan and throw in the diced red onions. Allow the onions to fry until the redness starts to fade off slowly.
- Coat your chopped chicken breast with salt and pepper and add to the frying pan. Cook the chicken until brown.
- Add in your beaten eggs to the pan and scramble it in the mixture.
- Thrown in your chopped mixed vegetables and cover the pan for about 5 mins. This will allow the steam to soften up the vegetables.
- Open up the pan and combine thoroughly.
Combining it all together
- Add your cooled precooked rice to the mixture. Add Kikkoman stir-fry sauce and low-sodium soy sauce.
- Combine thoroughly for about 5 mins or until the rice is fully fried and incorporated in the mixture.
- Cover the pan and leave to simmer for an additional 2 mins.
- Serve and Enjoy!