Thanksgiving is around the corner and I thought, why not start preparing for it by introducing my Chicken Cowboy Caviar recipe?
By the way, comment below one meal you will be making this thanksgiving, I’m curious to know.
Most of my recipes so far on the blog have always involved a lot of heavy cooking, so today I decided to switch it up with something that wouldn’t keep you waiting in the kitchen. This Chicken Cowboy Caviar recipe is literally the perfect side dish to prepare when you don’t feel like cooking. And the great part about it is, it’s super filling!!
For this dish, I decided to keep things very simple. I didn’t go too crazy with the ingredients, but I made sure to throw in some cooked chicken breast to the mix for an additional flavor.
If you’re vegan or you simply dislike introducing meat into your dip, then you can discard the chicken breast. I would however say that the chicken breast does make this dish taste absolutely delicious.
Related Post: Potato Sausage Combo
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Cowboy Caviar Recipe
One thing I love about this Texas Caviar is how all the ingredients come together nicely to give a rich flavor. I’ve never been a fan of beans or uncooked tomatoes, but I do love it’s presence in this dish. Oh and let me not forget to mention the lime juice which gives this dish the perfect amount of sour it needs.
Ingredients for chicken cowboy caviar
- Diced Tomatoes: These add juiciness and a natural sweetness to the dish, complementing the various flavors and adding some color.
- Onions: Onions serve as the aromatic base of the dish, providing a hint of sweetness and depth of flavor.
- Green Bell Pepper: This adds a crisp texture and mild, earthy flavors to the dish.
- Red Bell Pepper: Slightly sweeter than its green counterpart, the red bell pepper adds color and an additional layer of flavor.
- Yellow Bell Pepper: This bell pepper adds vibrant color and a unique, slightly tangy flavor to the mix.
- Cilantro: Fresh cilantro offers a burst of herbaceous, citrusy flavor, enhancing the dish’s overall complexity.
- Avocado: Avocado provides creaminess and healthy fats, balancing out the acidity and spice in the dish.
- Black Beans: These add protein and fiber, making the dish more filling and nutritious.
- Corn: Corn kernels offer a touch of sweetness and crispness, contrasting nicely with the other textures.
- Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice: This provides the necessary acidity to balance the dish, making the flavors pop.
- Cumin: Cumin lends a warm, slightly smoky note, complementing the other spices.
- Black Pepper: Adds a mild heat and complexity to the overall flavor profile.
- Garlic Powder: This brings in a subtle, earthy undertone that pairs well with the onions and spices.
- Chicken Breast: Serving as the primary protein, chicken breast makes the dish hearty enough to serve as a main course.
- Olive Oil: Used for sautéing the chicken and vegetables, olive oil adds richness and helps to blend the flavors.
- Salt: A basic seasoning, salt enhances the natural flavors of all the other ingredients.
- Curry: This spice adds an exotic twist, giving this chicken cowboy caviar a bit of global flair and added complexity.
How To Make Chicken Cowboy Caviar
To prepare the dip, combine diced tomatoes, onions, green, red, and yellow bell peppers, cilantro, black beans, corn, lemon juice, cumin, black pepper, and garlic powder in a large bowl and mix well. Once those ingredients are thoroughly combined, gently fold in the diced avocado, taking care to keep it chunky.
For the chicken, heat a tablespoon of oil in a grilling pan over medium heat, then lay the chicken breasts on the pan. Season the chicken with salt, black pepper, and curry powder, and cook until browned and fully cooked through. After cooking, remove the chicken from the pan and chop it into bite-sized or shredded pieces.
Finally, mix the cooked chicken into the prepared dip, stir until well combined, and serve with these awesome gluten free tortilla chips for a delicious Chicken Cowboy Caviar dish.
Some Cowboy Caviar recipes call for Italian dressing, but I personally would only recommend it if you choose not to use lime juice in combination with other seasonings. On the other hand, if the lime juice seems a bit too much, adding a bit of honey will do the trick. You could try adding some pineapples to the mix as an alternative as well.
Overall, this chicken cowboy caviar will be the a great side dish option to consider this thanksgiving. Let me know in the comments your favorite dip recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Types of Chicken Can I Use?
You can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, based on your preference. Both will work well, although thighs may provide a juicier, more flavorful result.
How Do I Store Leftovers?
Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and are best consumed within 2-3 days max. The avocado may also change in color, so be mindful of that. You can also freeze the dish for up to a month, although the texture of some ingredients may change slightly upon thawing.
Is This Recipe Spicy?
The spiciness of Chicken Cowboy Caviar can be tailored to your taste. Most recipes generally include ingredients like jalapeños or chili peppers, but these have been omitted here.
Can I Make It Vegetarian?
Absolutely. Simply omit the chicken or replace it with a plant-based protein like tofu or tempeh to create a vegetarian version of Cowboy Caviar.
Cowboy Caviar Recipe With Chicken Dip
For the Dip
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 onions - diced
- 1 green bell pepper - diced
- 1 red bell pepper - diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper - diced
- 1 bunch cilantro - chopped
- 1 cup avocado - diced
- 1 cup black beans - canned
- 1 cup corn - steamed
- 4 tbsp lemon juice - freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lbs chicken breast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp curry
- In a large bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, onions, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, cilantro, black beans, corn, lemon juice, cumin, black pepper, and garlic powder. Mix well to incorporate all the flavors.1 cup diced tomatoes, 1 onions, 1 green bell pepper, 1 red bell pepper, 1 yellow bell pepper, 1 bunch cilantro, 1 cup black beans, 1 cup corn, 4 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp garlic powder
- Once the other ingredients are well-combined, gently fold in the diced avocado. Be careful not to mash the avocado; you want it to remain chunky.1 cup avocado
- Place a grilling pan over medium heat and add a tablespoon of oil, allowing it to heat up.
- Lay the chicken breasts on the heated pan. Sprinkle them with salt, black pepper, and curry powder. Cook until the chicken is browned and fully cooked through.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan and chop it into bite-sized pieces or shred it, according to your preference.
- Serve with Tortilla chips and enjoy
Combine and Serve
- Mix the prepared chicken into the dip. Stir until well combined.
- Serve the Chicken Cowboy Caviar with tortilla chips and enjoy!