Coconut Rice is one of my favorite rice recipes. When I was a little girl, my mom would cook it during special events and occasions. And I was always so excited to eat it.
Recently, I was craving it and decided to make it. And I’m so happy I did because it tastes soo yummy! I used some leftover coconut milk I had in my kitchen and surprisingly it turned out amazing!
Whenever my mom made her coconut rice, she will blend the coconut to extract the milky part of it before adding it to the rice. But I personally wasn’t interested in going through that hassle, so I decided to stick to regular store-bought coconut milk and it did a great job.
I didn’t notice any difference at all. So if you’re wondering if you should buy some coconut to make this recipe, you don’t. Just purchase regular coconut milk from your store, and it would do just fine.
Coconut Rice Recipe
For my recipe, I decided to add a variety of peppers. Because you all know how much I love spicy food. So I definitely made sure to throw in the good old habanero pepper. However, if spicy food is not your thing, then you can skip it. But in all honesty, the additional peppers do make this recipe taste BOMB (so I suggest giving it a shot).
I also added a bit of crayfish because crayfish literally makes every meal taste good, especially coconut rice. So if you have some in your kitchen cabinet, feel free to throw some in. You would be very glad you did.
I have good news for all my lazy cooks out there. This recipe literally takes an hour to prepare, so if you dislike waiting, this recipe will make you happy.
Let me know in the comments if you give this meal a try. I promise, it tastes sooo good and I’m so sure you all would love it as well.
RELATED POST: Jollof Recipe
Coconut Rice Recipe
- 2 tbsp coconut oil - or any oil you prefer
- 1 red onion - diced
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp curry
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 maggi cubes
- ⅛ cup crayfish - blended
- 3 habanero peppers - Diced with seed removed, use less or more depending on your spice preference
- 1 cup sweet peppers - chopped
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 ½ cup rice - I used long grain parboiled rice. Thoroughly washed
- In a medium-sized pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the diced red onion and sauté until it begins to lose its red color.
- To the sautéed onions, add the crayfish, peppers, curry, salt, oregano, Maggi cubes, habanero peppers, and sweet peppers. Stir this mixture for about 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Pour the coconut milk into the pot and stir well to combine with the spice mixture.
- Add the washed rice to the pot, stirring it into the mixture to ensure it's well-coated with the spices and coconut milk. Let the rice cook over medium heat for approximately 45 minutes, or until it's fully cooked and has absorbed all the flavors.
- Once the coconut rice is cooked to your satisfaction, serve hot and enjoy!