This ginger hibiscus mocktail recipe is a perfect blend of sweet, tangy, and spicy–a delicious and healthy alternative to alcoholic cocktails. This drink recipe is easy to make and requires only a few simple ingredients you may already have in your kitchen.
So, whether you’re hosting a dinner party or just looking for a refreshing drink to put your nerves in check, this hibiscus mocktail recipe is sure to be a banger. Keep reading to learn the many benefits of hibiscus leaves and how to make this delicious mocktail recipe.
Benefits of hibiscus leaves
Hibiscus leaves have several potential health benefits, including:
- Lowering blood pressure: Several studies have shown that consuming hibiscus tea may help lower blood pressure in people suffering from hypertension.
- Reducing cholesterol levels: Some research suggests that hibiscus leaves may help lower cholesterol levels, reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Aid in weight loss: Research has shown that hibiscus leaves may help support weight loss and improve weight management.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: The hibiscus leaves contain anti-inflammatory compounds that may help ease pain and inflammation in the body.
- Antioxidant properties: Packed with antioxidants, hibiscus leaves may help protect against cellular damage caused by free radicals.
- Improving digestion: Hibiscus leaves are known to help improve digestion as well as help reduce bloating and gas.
It is important to note that while these benefits are promising, more research is needed to understand the full health effects of hibiscus leaves. Therefore, it’s also essential to consult with a healthcare professional before adding hibiscus leaves in large quantities to your diet, especially if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have any chronic conditions.
Ingredients For Ginger Hibiscus Mocktail:
To make this mocktail, you will only need a few ingredients and some patience. However, unlike many mocktail recipes that involve mixing juices, this requires prepping the juices from scratch. Therefore, prepare this drink recipe in advance if you plan on making it for any special occasion.
- 2 cups dried hibiscus leaves
- 3-inch ginger, grated
- One orange, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup pineapple chunks and juice
- honey or any sweetener of your choosing
How to prepare Ginger Hibiscus mocktail recipe
Step 1: Wash and Rinse Hibiscus Leaves
Quickly rinse hibiscus leaves by gently soaking them in water to remove debris.
Step 2: Boil Ginger and other Ingredients
In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
Once the water is boiling, add the washed hibiscus leaves, ginger, pineapple, peeled orange, and zest. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
Remove from heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
Step 3: Serve ginger hibiscus mocktail
Strain the mixture and discard the leaves.
Add honey and taste until you achieve the sweetness you prefer
Serve over ice and garnish with a slice of orange.
Can I Use Fresh Hibiscus Flowers?
Yes, you can use fresh hibiscus flowers, but they are much less common than dried flowers. Fresh flowers would need to be boiled to make a strong infusion for your mocktail.
How Do I Sweeten My Hibiscus Mocktail?
You can sweeten your mocktail with a variety of options like simple syrup, honey, agave nectar, or stevia for a lower-calorie option. For this recipe, I chose to use honey, but feel free to use sugar if that’s what you have on hand.
What Other Ingredients Go Well with Hibiscus?
Hibiscus pairs well with a variety of fruits like citrus, berries, and tropical fruits. Herbs like mint or basil can also add a fresh twist.
Can I Turn This Into a Cocktail?
Certainly! Adding a splash of your favorite spirit like rum or vodka can easily turn your hibiscus mocktail recipe into a cocktail.
Refreshing cocktail drink alternative
This ginger hibiscus mocktail recipe is one I always recommend people try because you can customize it to suit your taste. The ginger adds a little spice, while the orange and pineapple bring tanginess. The honey adds the perfect sweetness to make this mocktail irresistible.
More delicious mocktail recipes:
Hibiscus Mocktail Recipe
- Quickly rinse hibiscus leaves by gently soaking them in water to remove dirt.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Once the water starts boiling, add the washed hibiscus leaves, ginger, pineapple, peeled orange, and zest. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it cool for a few minutes. Strain the mixture and discard the leftovers. Add honey and taste until you achieve the sweetness you want. Serve over ice and garnish with a slice of orange.