When I first embarked on my keto journey, the thought of giving up noodles and pasta seemed daunting. I was on the lookout for something that could satisfy those cravings without breaking my carb limit.
That’s when I discovered the magic of cabbage as a fantastic substitute. I started experimenting in the kitchen and created this Low Carb Cabbage Stir Fry.
It’s become my go-to dish for a quick and healthy dinner, especially on nights when my husband and I want something light yet satisfying. This stir fry isn’t just tasty; it’s a colorful mixture of fresh veggies and bold flavors, all coming together in a dish that perfectly fits a low-carb lifestyle.
So, if you just happen to be on the keto craze, let me show you how I make this delightful meal that’s sure to become a favorite in your home, too!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This recipe is a winner for several reasons. These are just some of my favorites.
- Health Benefits: This stir fry is ideal for anyone trying to regulate their blood sugar. It contains cabbage which is low in carbs and high in nutrients, so if you’re diabetic or watching your sugar levels, you won’t have to worry about the sugar spikes.
- Easy to Make: If you’re looking for a simple and straightforward recipe that’s perfect for beginners and busy individuals, this is the one.
- Incredibly Flavorful: The combination of red Thai curry paste, fresh vegetables, and aromatic spices creates a burst of flavor in every bite.
- Versatile: You can add your favorite protein or tweak the spices to suit your taste.
- Perfect for Two: Designed as a cozy meal for two, it’s a great way to enjoy a shared cooking experience with your friend or significant other.
Ingredients For Cabbage Stir Fry
- Half a Cabbage: I chose half a green cabbage for this recipe as it’s the perfect amount for two. If you’re cooking for more, feel free to use a whole cabbage.
- Carrot: Adds a sweet crunch and a pop of color, making the dish not just tastier but also more visually appealing.
- Onion: I use half of a medium-sized onion for this recipe. Sautéed onion brings a subtle sweetness and depth that I feel enhances the overall taste of the dish.
- Vegetable Stock: I chose to use vegetable stock which is much more flavorful than plain water. You can substitute it with chicken or beef broth if that’s what you have.
- Stock Cubes: For some extra flavor. Don’t skip this. I promise it makes a huge difference.
- Red Thai Curry Paste: The star of the show! I’ve been cooking with it lately and it adds a unique, spicy kick that significantly transforms the stir fry.
- Oil: A good quality oil (like olive or avocado) is essential for sautéing.
- Minced Garlic: For some additional flavor.
- Paprika, Salt, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, Thyme, Cumin: Each of these spices contributes its own character – warmth from paprika, a spicy kick from black pepper, more garlicky notes, the herbal touch of thyme, the earthy undertone of cumin and salt to taste.
How To Make Low Carb Cabbage Stir Fry
Step 1: Saute the Base
Heat oil in a large pan or dutch oven over medium heat. Add minced garlic, onion, and red Thai curry paste. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent and the mixture is fragrant.
Step 2: Add Your Veggies and Seasonings
Incorporate the shredded cabbage and sliced carrot into the pan and pour in the vegetable stock.
Cover the pan and let the mixture simmer. Cook until the cabbage and carrot have softened but still retain some crunch.
Once the vegetables are tender, sprinkle in the paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, thyme, salt and cumin. Crumble the stock cubes into the pan and stir well to ensure the vegetables are evenly coated with the spices.
Step 3: Combine Everything
Cook for an additional 5-8 minutes to let the flavors meld together. If you see too much liquid in the pot at this point, simply leave the lid off to let the steam and moisture escape.
Serve this cabbage stir fry hot, either as a standalone dish or paired with grilled salmon (which I prefer), chicken, or tofu for added protein. Garnish with fresh herbs like dill for an extra touch of flavor and color.
How to Store Your Low Carb Cabbage Stir Fry
Got leftovers? No problem! Here’s a simple way to store your cabbage stir fry.
Let the stir fry cool down first – you don’t want it hot when you store it. Then, put it in airtight containers to keep it fresh and tasty.
Pop these in the fridge, and your stir fry will be good for 3-4 days. If you want to keep it longer, you can freeze it for about a month.
Just remember, frozen veggies might feel a bit different when you eat them later.
When you’re ready to eat again, just warm it up in the microwave or on the stove. And there you go – your delicious stir fry, ready to enjoy anytime!
The Best Cabbage Stir Fry
There you have it – my homestyle Low Carb Cabbage Stir Fry, a dish that’s as nourishing as it is delicious.
It’s the ideal choice for a cozy dinner with someone special. This recipe is like a melody of tastes and textures, each bite bursting with its own unique note.
Give it a try in your kitchen for a meal that’s not only easy to whip up but also a pure joy to eat. Trust me, your taste buds (and your body!) will thank you for this hearty, guilt-free dish.
Low Carb Cabbage Stir Fry
- ½ cabbage - shredded
- 1 carrot - thinly sliced or ¼ cup of shredded carrot
- ½ onion - thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1½ tsp garlic - minced (about 3 cloves of garlic)
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 1-2 stock cubes
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add minced garlic, onion, and red Thai curry paste. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent and the mixture is fragrant.
- Add the shredded cabbage and sliced carrot into the pan and pour in the vegetable stock. Cover the pan and let the mixture simmer. Cook until the cabbage and carrot have softened but still retain some crunch (About 6-8 minutes)
- Once the vegetables are tender, sprinkle in the paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, thyme, salt and cumin. Crumble the stock cubes into the pan and stir well to ensure the vegetables are evenly coated with the spices.
- Cover and Cook for an additional 5-8 minutes to let the flavors meld together and allow the vegetables to fully soften. At this point, If you see too much liquid in the pot, simply leave the lid off. This allows the steam and moisture to escape.
- Serve this cabbage stir fry hot, either as a standalone dish or paired with your favorite protein of choice.