Growing up, my mom always made meat pie. It was one of those delicacies that I often looked forward to.
Even when I would go out and about shopping at local market and malls, I always made sure to stop at any nearby canteen to get myself some meat pies. Basically, I was obsessed with it and it was a significant part of my childhood.
Since relocating to the United States and becoming more americanized, my love for meat-pie slowly faded away, and I often found myself craving other types of pies and fillings. Plus, being a transitioning vegan, I had come to accept my new reality that I may never eat meat pies again.
However, recently, I’ve been reminiscing my childhood days and the desire for meat pie slowly started to creep in. At first, I tried to simply ignore it and accept my new faith in veganism. But as the desire grew stronger, I figured I would create a recipe that comes close to my childhood meat pie–while still adhering to the standards of my current lifestyle.
One thing I love about this meat pie is the fact that it’s pretty straight forward in terms of preparation. Honestly, prepping all the ingredients took me probably less that 20 minutes. I tried to keep things fairly quick and simple because I know I don’t have the strength to be sitting all day in my kitchen.
For this recipe, I used morning star farms vegan meat and some store bought pie crust (Because ain’t nobody got the time to be romancing flour).
I personally chose this brand of vegan meat because I like the taste of their fake meat. It comes quite close to the taste of real meat and I knew it would be a great meat replacement in this dish.
- Ground meat: As I mentioned earlier, I chose to use morning star farms veggie grillers crumbles. However, you can use any meat of your choice from regular ground beef to plant based ground beef.
- Mixed vegetables: You can pick this up from your local grocery store in the frozen isle. I suggest using the ones containing carrot, peas and corn. But feel free to add any other type of veggie you like.
- Xanthan Gum: I’ve been using this a lot in recipes as a thickener and I love how a little goes a really long way in thickening sauces.
- Stock: I used vegetable stock, but feel free to use chicken stock if you want.
- Spices: For this pie, less is more. Don’t over-do. Simple salt, black pepper, oregano and minced garlic would do.
- Onion: Half an onion would do, since the serving size for this pie is a 6-in pan.
- Pie crust: You can make your own home made pie crust, but I prefer to use store-bought crust. It’s easy to work with and cuts my cooking time by 50%
Making this recipe is simple and straight forward. For the filling, simply add oil to a 2 qt pot on medium heat, sauté diced onions, mixed veggies and minced garlic with other spices, then add in ground meat and cook until brown. Once cooked, pour in stock and leave to simmer for about 10 mins. And viola, the filling is ready to be baked.
To prep the pie pan, loosely roll dough around rolling pin, then gently unroll it onto pie pan, letting excess hang over the pan. Lift dough around edges and gently press it into corners of pie pan. Next, add in filling and unroll dough over filled pie, taking care not to stretch it and create thin spots. Once done, trim hanging edges of top and bottom crust, then pinch edges firmly together to prevent leaking. You can watch this tutorial to guide you on how to crimp your pie, if you are struggling.
Also do not forget to create vents in the center of pie crust to allow air escape.
Now that everything is prepped and ready, to a preheated over at 400°F, add in pie and bake for 30-40 minutes or until crust turns golden brown.
And that’s it!! You can serve this delicious meat pie and enjoy it with friends and family.
Be sure to tag me on Instagram if you give this recipe a try.
Meat Pie Recipe
- 1 lb vegan meat - or any meat of your choice
- ½ cup vegetable stock - or chicken stock
- ⅓ cup mixed vegetables
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp garlic - minced
- ½ onion - (diced)
- 2 tbsps oil
- Pie crust - store bought
- Add oil to a pot on medium heat, and sauté diced onions, mixed veggies, minced garlic, salt, oregano, and pepper.
- Add in ground meat and cook until brown. Once cooked, pour in stock and leave to simmer for about 10 mins.
- Loosely roll dough around rolling pin, then gently unroll it onto pie pan, letting excess hang over the pan.
- Lift dough around edges and gently press it into corners of pie pan.
- Next, add in filling and unroll leftover dough over filled pie, taking care not to stretch it and create thin spots.
- Once done, trim hanging edges of top and bottom crust, then pinch edges firmly together to prevent leaking. You can watch this tutorial to guide you on how to crimp your pie, if you are struggling.
- Be sure to create vents in the center of pie crust using a knife to allow air escape.
- Add pie to a preheated oven at 400 °F and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the crust turns golden brown.
- Allow to cool and serve!