This smoked turkey collard greens recipe I’m about to reveal to you guys today is honestly a game changer. I’ve experimented with collard greens many times, but incorporating it in smoked turkey was one that I never actually thought of until quite recently. And I must say, I am truly glad I gave the idea a shot.
If it isn’t already obvious by now, I am a lover of smoked turkey. Most of the meat recipes on my website and Pinterest contain smoked turkey. And honestly, I am not giving it up anytime soon.
If you aren’t a lover of smokey turkey or you just happen to be vegan, then you should definitely check out my vegan collard greens recipe. It is quite similar to this recipe, but without the smoked turkey.
I have prepared this dish several times over the past three weeks and even gave some to visitors who came by. Therefore, I’m pretty sure you would enjoy this dish as I’m quite obsessed with it myself.
I chose to enjoy this dish with white rice. However, you can eat it with whatever you prefer. I would suggest fried plantains, sweet potatoes or even quinoa as an alternative to white rice. Either way, you can be sure that it will turn out amazing!
To be honest with you, the reason why I prefer collard greens in my cooking as compared to other greens like spinach is the fact that collard greens tends to soak up most of the spices I use in my cooking. I find that spinach and other greens tend to be a bit bitter, unless if cooked for longer periods of time which I honestly find exhausting. That being said, if you don’t have access to collard greens, then use what you prefer.
Smoked Turkey Collard Greens Recipe
- 2.5 lbs turkey - (smoked turkey tails) chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion - chopped
- ⅔ cup scallions - diced
- 1 clove garlic - chopped
- 1 medium habanero pepper - chopped
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp ginger - ground
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 lime juice - freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsps soy sauce
- 14.5 oz tomato sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 bunch collard greens - OR two 14.5 oz can collard greens
- Heat up oil in a medium sized pot on medium heat
- Throw in chopped onion, scallions and garlic. Fry until onion redness starts to slowly fade
- Add in allspice, salt, oregano, ginger, nutmeg, brown sugar, lime juice and soy sauce. Mix until fully combined
- Add in tomato sauce, smoked turkey, collard greens and vegetable broth. Combine and leave to cook on medium heat for 35 mins.
- Serve and Enjoy!