Listen, this chocolate pancake recipe will blow your mind. I believe this recipe came straight from heaven because the fluffiness and tastiness are certainly not of this world.
I prepared these pancakes one random morning when my creative juices suddenly started kicking in. Usually, my breakfast morning meals consist of bread, tea, croissants, or cereal. But for some reason, this time around, I decided to make pancakes.
Growing up, my mom used to make flat pancakes, and I hated it. Unfortunately, it is common amongst many African mothers back home to make flat pancakes (which is the tradition), so I ended up not being a fan of pancakes.
It was when I moved to the United States and tried IHOP pancakes for the first time that I realized fluffy pancakes were a thing.
Since then, I started experimenting more with pancakes, trying to get them as fluffy as possible while remaining soft and delicious.
It often ended up as an epic fail, subconsciously reminding me of the unpalatable pancakes I used to eat growing up. And since I wasn’t nailing the recipe, I decided to ditch it altogether and stick to IHOP.
Surprisingly, the Almighty had other plans for me because this heaven-sent chocolate pancakes recipe tastes way better than IHOP pancakes. Not to throw shade at IHOP (because their pancakes are super delicious), but this recipe will significantly cut down your visits to IHOP. Plus, it’s 100% vegan. So you don’t need to worry about consuming dairy products.
If you try this recipe, I would love to know how it turned out. I highly recommend you have baking powder and baking soda on hand because the proper combination of these two ingredients will make your pancakes very fluffy.
Tasty Chocolate Pancakes
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 tsp lemon juice - freshly squeezed
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 ½ tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- In a small bowl, combine almond milk and lemon juice. Stir the mixture and let it sit for about 3 minutes.
- Add in your vanilla extract to the mixture and stir
- To a separate bowl, combine all your dry ingredients: Flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt.
- Add your wet mixture to your dry mixture and whisk until a smooth batter is formed. Set aside and allow to rest until your frying pan is heated up.
- Heat up a small sized frying pan (LOW TO MEDIUM HEAT) with vegan butter or olive oil. (Avoid high heat completely, so you don't burn your pancakes).
- Add your combined batter in bits, pouring in a circular motion to obtain a round shape
- Once bubbles begin to form on the side and the surface of the batter, flip the pancakes and cook the other side until brown.
- Repeat the steps with the remaining batter
- Serve with syrup or liquid chocolate.