Now that we are in winter season, I felt it would be a great time to share my vanilla hot chocolate recipe with you guys.
This recipe is perfect for a cozy night in OR a Netflix and chill type of night. Thus, if you are trying to unwind after a stressful week, I suggest making this before cozying up in bed.
Recently, my husband and I contacted the flu. It was one of those horrible contagious kinds that kept us out of work for an entire week. I even suspected we may have contacted covid, given how stubborn it was.
Luckily, it wasn’t anything life threatening, and we ended up feeling much better after a week.
To combat the flu, we were advised to drinks lots of hot fluids to help ease the congestion that we were both feeling. Thus, I decided to give this vanilla hot chocolate recipe a go.
It turned out so delicious, and it did help to ease our congestion a bit.
I would advise that you let it cool down a bit before serving, as my husband almost burned his tongue while consuming it.
That being said; Here are some of the ingredients that you would need to make this vanilla hot chocolate recipe.
Ingredients For Vanilla Hot Chocolate Recipe:
- Almond milk: To be honest, any milk would work for this recipe. However, because I frequently eat plant-based, I often opt for almond milk.
- Cocoa powder: This is the key ingredient for the hot chocolate. It gives it color and a nice cocoa flavor.
- Chocolate chips: Honestly, adding chocolate chips takes this recipe to a whole new level. It enhances the flavor of the cocoa powder and gives this drink a nice chocolatey balance.
- Vanilla extract: For some extra vanilla flavor. You would also try adding vanilla Ice-cream. It makes it so delicious.
- Stevia sweetener: This adds some sweetness to the drink, making it palatable to consume.
Preparing The Vanilla Hot Chocolate
To prepare this recipe, all you have to do is boil the milk at medium temperature and add in the rest of the ingredients. Then mix until all the ingredients fully dissolve in the milk.
And voila, your vanilla hot chocolate is ready to be served! Just make sure you let it cool a bit to avoid any burns while consuming.
I also suggest topping it off with some marshmallows and any extra chocolate chips that you may have.
Let me know in the comments if you try out this recipe. If you enjoyed it, then you may also love my white chocolate iced coffee recipe.
What’s the main difference between regular hot chocolate and vanilla hot chocolate?
The primary difference is the addition of vanilla extract or vanilla bean to the hot chocolate recipe. This provides an extra layer of flavor that complements the richness of the chocolate.
Can I use any type of milk for this recipe?
Yes, you can use whole milk, 2% milk, skim milk, or any plant-based milk like almond, oat, or soy milk. Each type of milk will offer a slightly different taste and texture.
Is hot cocoa the same as hot chocolate?
Although the terms are often used interchangeably, hot cocoa is typically made from cocoa powder, sugar, and milk, while hot chocolate is made from actual chocolate, which contains cocoa butter. Our vanilla hot chocolate recipe uses real chocolate for a creamy, luxurious texture.
What type of chocolate should I use?
You can use dark, milk, or even white chocolate depending on your preference. High-quality chocolate with a higher cocoa content is generally recommended for the richest flavor.
Vanilla Hot Chocolate Recipe
- To a small pot on medium heat, pour in almond milk and boil until slightly hot
- Add in chocolate chips and stir until it melts into the milk.
- Add in cocoa powder, stevia sweetener, vanilla extract and stir until fully combined.
- Remove mixture from heat and allow to cool.
- Serve in a mug and top with marshmallows.