I made this vegan fudgy chocolate brownies last night and honestly it was the bomb dot com. Even my husband who hates anything with the word vegan in it was quite impressed.
It is soo moist and chocolatey. And with vegan ice-cream, this is a killer.
I recently posted on my instagram that 2022 will be the year that I start taking my vegan journey more seriously. In 2020, I started my journey as a vegan. However, around the 6th month, I gave into my animal cravings and started eating meat. Since then, I have not been the same.
The transition back to meat seriously affected my health, to the point of me gaining 40lbs. Thus, I decided to make this New Year the perfect time to switch back to plant-based.
To start off my journey, I decided to make this vegan fudgy chocolate brownies. To be honest, I’m not really a fan of brownies. In fact, I steer away from making brownies on a regular basis. But for some reason, I was in the mood to try out a new recipe. Thus, I decided to make these vegan brownies.
INGREDIENTS FOR VEGAN BROWNIES:
- All purpose flour: This is a necessary ingredient for the batter, but you need to use way less of it than you think. The more flour you use, the more cakey your brownies will be. Thus, I recommend nothing more than a cup of flour. To make this gluten free, you could try using oat flour as a replacement. Though I haven’t tried this in the past, I don’t think it would be an issue.
- Plant butter: For this recipe you would need the butter to be completely melted and not at room temperature.
- Stevia sweetener: I am trying to stay away from white sugar in general and so the best alternative that I’ve found so far is stevia.
- Brown sugar: For extra sweetness. However, it also helps the brownies stay moist after you bake it.
- Vanilla extract: To give it a nice vanilla flavor.
- Baking powder: This is optional, but I like that it makes the brownies chunky.
- Cocoa powder: This gives the brownies a nice chocolatey color and taste
- Vegan chocolate chips: For the extra chocolate, hehe!
- Flax Egg: This serves as a binder for the batter that replaces the use of eggs.
- Almond milk: This is optional, but it helps to have it around in case your batter gets a little too thick.
- Salt: To enhance the overall flavor and texture of the brownie.
How To Prepare Vegan Fudgy Chocolate Brownies:
I recommend mixing your baking powder with your all purpose flour and preparing your flax egg before starting. That way, everything is evenly distributed once you start combining all your ingredients. You also want to preheat your oven to 325ºF.
Next, melt your butter and add in sugar, salt and cocoa powder. Whisk together until you achieve a melted chocolate consistency as shown in the image below.
After that’s done, add in your vanilla extract and flax egg mixture. For the flax egg mixture, you need to combine 3 tablespoons of ground flax seeds with 1/2 cup of water. Allow the mixture to thicken before combining it with the rest of your ingredients.
Sift the flour into the mixture and fold in your chocolate chips.
Pour batter into a lined 8×8 inch baking tray and bake for 30-40 mins OR until a toothpick comes out clean.
Once your brownies are done baking, you should let it cool and solidify, so that it will be much easier to cut and serve.
At this point, you can go ahead and eat your vegan brownies. But if you are like me, then you may want to consider topping it with some vegan vanilla ice-cream. It takes the taste to a whole new level.
Let me know in the comments if you gave this vegan fudgy chocolate brownies a try. You should also check out my vegan chocolate banana cake recipe if you enjoyed this one.
Vegan Fudgy Chocolate Brownies
- Preheat your oven to 325 °F
- To a mini bowl combine 3 tablespoons of ground flax seed with ½ cup of water and leave to thicken.
- In a separate bowl, combine all-purpose flour with baking powder.
- To a mixing bowl, add in melted butter, sugar, salt and cocoa powder. Whisk together until you achieve a smooth consistency.
- Add in your vanilla extract and flax egg mixture. Combine together.
- Sift the flour into the mixture and combine.
- Fold in your chocolate chips and pour batter into a lined 8×8 inch baking pan
- Bake for 30-40 mins OR until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave to cool. Then serve and enjoy!