This Vegan Mushroom Quesadilla Recipe is the perfect solution when you’re craving a cheesy, gooey, and delicious Mexican-inspired dish. Made with mushrooms and smothered in spicy vegan cheese, these quesadillas will keep even non-vegans wondering what subbed out meat this time!
I wasn’t always a fan of mushrooms. But this recipe has changed my perspective. This isn’t your typical Chicken Quesadillas. You don’t taste the mushrooms directly, but there are so many incorporated into each bite that you feel like you’re eating meat. This recipe will change your mind about mushrooms if you’re not a fan. The quesadillas are easy to make, and the mushroom filling is so delicious that you’ll want to eat them again and again.
Why You’ll Love This Vegan Mushroom Quesadilla
You’ll absolutely love this Vegan Mushroom Quesadilla for its rich, meaty umami flavors and satisfying texture.
The combination of various mushrooms, spices, and plant-based cheese creates a mouthwatering experience that is both indulgent and wholesome.
Whether you’re vegan or just looking to try something new, this dish offers the comfort of a classic quesadilla while being a healthier and more sustainable choice.
It’s easy to customize with your favorite veggies and vegan proteins, and best of all, it’s quick to prepare, making it a perfect option for busy weeknights or leisurely weekends.
Ingredients For Vegan mushroom quesadilla
- Tortillas: I used regular flour tortillas for this recipe, and I honestly prefer it over corn tortillas.
- Oyster mushrooms: I love them because they have a meaty look and texture. It also absorbs flavor a lot better than other types of mushrooms, in my opinion. However, feel free to incorporate any other type of mushroom that you like.
- Cilantro: For some nice tangy flavor
- Taco Seasoning: I used a mixture of salt, black pepper, cumin, and paprika for my seasoning. However, if you have taco seasoning, that alone will do.
- Vegan Cheese: I used dairy-free mozzarella cheese. If you are not vegan or are vegetarian, feel free to use regular mozzarella cheese.
- Diced Onions: For more flavor.
- Olive oil: To saute the filling.
- Diced peppers: I used a combination of green and red peppers for some extra savory taste.
- Vegetable stock: This gives the mushrooms additional flavor and makes them nice and tender.
- Vegan butter: To lightly pan-fry the tortillas.
How to Make Vegan Mushroom Quesadilla
This recipe is super simple to prepare. The filling is cooked first and then placed into a tortilla topped with mozzarella cheese and folded over to cook. Follow the step below to make the best-tasting vegan mushroom quesadilla.
- Make the filling: Preheat a skillet with olive oil and add onions, mushrooms, and taco seasoning. Cook until the mushrooms are slightly tender. Add vegetable stock and peppers; cook until the mushrooms are fully tender and absorb most of the stock. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Assemble the tortilla: Place a tortilla on a crepe pan. Cover half the tortilla with vegan cheese, mushroom and veggie filling, cilantro, and more cheese. Fold the tortilla over to close. Cook until golden.
- Serve and enjoy: Cut the tortilla and serve. May I suggest topping it with this fantastic cashew dressing?
This delicious and easy vegan mushroom quesadilla recipe is so easy to make yet incredibly filling and satisfying. The oyster mushrooms and vegan cheese combine for a melt-in-your-mouth experience that takes mere minutes to prepare. You’ll love this flavorful recipe if you love melted cheese over crispy tortilla! Let me know in the comments if you try out this dish.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Types of Mushrooms Can I Use?
You can use a variety of mushrooms to make your quesadilla, such as button, portobello, shiitake, or a wild mushroom mix. Each type of mushroom offers a unique flavor and texture, so feel free to experiment.
Is It Necessary to Use Oil?
Using a small amount of oil helps in sautéing the mushrooms and allows for a crispier tortilla. However, if you are avoiding oil, you can use a non-stick pan or a small amount of vegetable broth to sauté the mushrooms.
How Do I Make It Gluten-Free?
To make a gluten-free Vegan Mushroom Quesadilla, simply use gluten-free tortillas, which are widely available in most grocery stores. Make sure to also verify that your vegan cheese and other fillings are gluten-free.
Vegan Mushroom Quesadilla Recipe
- Preheat a skillet with olive oil on medium heat. Add onions, mushrooms, and taco seasoning. Cook until the mushrooms are slightly tender.
- Pour in vegetable stock and add in peppers. Cook until mushrooms are fully tender and absorb most of the vegetable stock. Set aside.
- On low to medium heat, add a bit of butter to a clean crepe pan and place a tortilla on top.
- Cover half the tortilla with vegan cheese, mushroom and veggie filling, cilantro, and more cheese. Fold the tortilla over to close and cook until golden.
- Cut the tortilla and serve. May I suggest topping it with this fantastic cashew dressing?